About Us

School Profile

Holy Name Primary School was originally staffed by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. Currently the school experiences the enrichment of more than 27 nationalities incorporating a multicultural flavour into our school community.

Over the years the school has seen many changes and has been fortunate to have made renovations and extensions in order to meet the school needs and it’s curriculum demands.

Holy Name Primary School is multicultural with varied family structures, The school has many children involved in outside school activities, enjoys an active parental involvement presence and encourages parental decision-making and responsibility.

Holy Name Primary School offers progressive, individually focused and challenging education programs based on the domains of the Victorian Curriculum F-10. The curriculum is the common set of knowledge and skills required by students for life-long learning, social development and active and informed citizenship. The Victorian Curriculum F–10 incorporates the Australian Curriculum and reflects Victorian priorities and standards.

The school also provides:

  • Student support teachers
  • Sacramental programs – Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation
  • P–2 swimming program
  • Year 3/4 Gymnastics
  • Year 4 Camp
  • Year 5/6 Camp
  • Prep – Year 5 ‘Buddy’ Program
  • An inter-school sports participation
  • LOTE (Italian), Performing Arts, Visual Arts and Physical Education specialists
  • Student participation in the biennial whole school production
  • Before and After School Care (co-ordinated by an independent before and after school care specialist)
  • Music and instrumental lessons (on site lessons)
  • Free lunch time clubs – Art, Book Club, Craft, Choir, Craft, Mini Vinnies and Performing Arts run and supervised by staff.
  • Chess Club run by Chess. Ed.
  • Access to G.A.T.E.WAYS programs (challenging and innovative programs for gifted and highly able children

Holy Name Primary School is a feeder school to:

Parade College (Preston and Bundoora)

St Monica’s College

Santa Maria College

Holy Name is a school which operates with the consent of hte Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne and is operated and governed by Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schols Ltd (MACS). MACS governs and operates 292 Catholic schools in the Archdioceses to continue the mission of Catholic education to proclaim the Good News and equip our young people with hte knowledge, skills and hope to live meaningful lives and enrich the world around them. Because the good work of educating the young is a co-responsible task led by every member of the Catholic school community, School Advisory Councils have been esetablished to provide a crucial point of connection between the wider school community and school leaders. This governance model was desinged to ease the administrative burden on our schools and parishes, allow parish priests to focus on the mission of education in the parish, enable greater collaboration between schools and ensure greater consistency in school policies and procedures. More information on MACS is available at www.macs.vic.edu.au.

Vision Statement

Holy Name is an inclusive, Catholic community that pairs innovative teaching with life-long learning. We foster critical thinkers and independent learners to become active contributors to a better future, inspired by the life of Christ.

History

The foundations of Holy Name Parish were laid in pre-war days, when the late Father O’Grady purchased land in Robb Street for future developments. On 2nd April 1939, His Grace Archbishop Mannix blessed and opened the Church-School. Revered Father A.J.Cleary was appointed the first Parish Priest on 1st September 1952, when Preston East was separated from the Sacred Heart Parish and became a new parish known as Holy Name.

Originally Holy Name Primary School was staffed by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan; today it’s employees are predominantly lay staff. We acknowledge the work of the Sisters of the Good Samaritian for their contribution to our school.

Holy Name School is situated in the municipality of Darebin in Robb Street Reservoir. The school was originally registered as being in the suburb of Preston East but its address is now officially Reservoir.

The original school population was mainly from Anglo-Saxon backgrounds with its first enrolment of 45 children. Today the school experiences the enrichment of more than twenty-seven nationalities.

The Parish buildings consist of the Church, Presbytery, School, and school grounds, Parish Hall and Cleary House. The school building is located adjacent to Holy Name Church to which we have access for Liturgies and School celebrations.

From 1939 the school experienced a steady growth in its number of enrolments thus necessitating its building expansion. Over the years the school has catered to the needs of staff and students with extensions being made in various areas. By 1959 there had been the addition of 11 rooms which saw the school through its height in enrolments. There were no further extensions until 1986-1988 when the new school Library and administration block were built and then later in 1996 when there was the need for a Performing/Visual Arts Centre and shelter areas in the playground.

Policies

MACS Policies

Hidden CSS Toggle - Don't Delete

Annual Report